Thursday, June 18, 2009

Buy in Bulk: Saving vs. Spending

I have had a Costco membership for over five years. Recently, I became aware of a trend that I now realize has remained consistent since my first day of membership. It happens every time I visit, from the very moment I walk in. I flash my membership card and the security guard waves me inside. Then, for about two seconds, I go through a period of intense inner struggle where I eventually convince myself that I don’t need to buy one of those giant, sleek, high definition flat screens that are staring me right in the face. I have to admit, the marketing and placement of the televisions are genius. A few minutes before I walked in, I would have smirked at the thought of spending such a vast amount of money on a whim. Thus, we have come to the inherent dangers that lie within the great price and quality you find by buying in bulk. Are you shopping wisely and only buying what you need, or are you spending increasingly more than you should on items you otherwise would have passed up?

When it comes to buying food in bulk, most of us are intelligent, reasonable people who have dominance over a special ability called “common sense.” But when we see a low price attached to a large amount, we stop listening to that voice in the back of our heads. This bulk spending syndrome is somewhat similar to the saying, “Your eyes are bigger than your stomach.” If you only eat five bananas per week, but buy twenty, that means fifteen are going to go to waste. What we often find with buying in bulk is that we will be pulled in by an amazingly low price, only to let the product go to waste because it is simply too much to use in a realistic amount of time. On the other hand, if you can buy something such as meat and freeze what you don’t use, you will definitely save money. The boundary between saving time and money and buying more than you can use is a small one, which is why you need to have a specific plan for each perishable item you buy.

It is gratifying to be able to buy an item in bulk for sometimes 50% less than regular store prices. Additionally, the sheer number of items you acquire through a single purchase will keep your inventory stocked much longer. You will get accustomed to not having to worry about running out of such things as trash bags, paper towels, toilet paper, hand soap, tin foil, and all the rest of the items you need on a regular basis. I repeat, need on a regular basis. For example, I require two AAA batteries approximately once every three months. If I go to a bulk store and buy the smallest package of AAA batteries at the wonderful price that bulk items usually carry, I will have enough batteries to last me many years. In this instance, I have no strong need for AAA batteries and am more likely to find more worth in buying a regular pack of eight with a coupon. Buying in bulk based on frequently needed items will allow you to save money while freeing up valuable storage space for the items you really will use.

The main thing to remember when you are buying in bulk is that you will be tempted to buy everything you lay your eyes on. If you show up with a plan, only buy what you need, follow your personal budget, and listen to that little voice called common sense, you will end up reaping the full benefits of buying in bulk.

2 comments:

  1. For many of the things my friends and neighbors need we pool our money and buy goods in huge bulk - directly from suppliers - and get large discounts. There are no storage issues because we are splitting up the shipment as soon as it arrives, and there is far less packaging, transportation, spoilage and waste. We also split the costs of many durable items with friends and neighbors who need the same things. Often items are necessary but used only once a week or less. Why should everybody own the same things that they rarely use? We use a kind of checkout system that works very well. Oh, and talk about collective bargaining power! Highly recommended - I just started a blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing you should buy in bulk is paper products, toilet tissue, paper towels, wipes, kleenex, etc.

    ReplyDelete